Monday, November 1, 2010

Finding a little fire

Sometimes is hard to find a little fire.
Like when you have tired eyes with eroding
contact lenses in them or when the same words
stop meaning the same thing, repetition weighs on
you and tide upon tide of complacency crash against
you like an outstayed beach trip. I think people
need it, need to lose their fire sometimes, need
to be pushed to a limit of absurdity. You can't
blame another person when they don't fit
the role you've created for them. I think a person
can push themselves as hard as they want: to a
point of tears, blood or whatever else comes out
of their body, but another person simply can't.

When you try to ignite someone's flame you
run the risk of setting a fuse ablaze, inciting a
new set of events leading up to an eruption.

Its hard to say what I'm really trying to say or
just to think of the point of what I'm saying. I think
its for me, to realize that maybe I'm doing fine
just following my own path and others cant hate
me for it.

I think of where I'll be in 20 years. Not physically,
like where in the world or what job I'll have or
whatever, but I think of where I'll be mentally.
What will i be thinking? What's going to really matter
and why will it matter. Most of what is happening in
my life right now won't matter to me in 20 years, or
even 10.

Its more important to focus on whats lying just
ahead or whats in front of me now. In reality, I should
be taking care of myself now, not some future
version of me; he can take care of himself.

Living is like trying to keep a little fire burning.
We're given this little spark and then tiny ember
to hold on to, to protect against the elements
that threaten to put it out. Our whole lives
revolve around safeguarding this aspect of ourselves.
If we care for it just right then we'll have it for
as long as we can. If we don't feed the fire, it'll fade
away. If we feed it too much, it'll blaze and burn out.

I guess the biggest question is: What keeps your fire
burning?

The concept is cliche but I've never actually thought
about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment